This was in today’s Ben Column, and was so good I had to share it. If you are wondering why I would post it here, it is appropriate. Read it and chuckle!
“Thanks for the kind words, but below are my Top Ten reasons for not running for freeholder:
10. To paraphrase Groucho Marx, I would never want to represent an electorate dumb enough to vote for me.
9. I’d have to campaign, and I hate chicken.
8. Six p.m. freeholder meetings would force me to miss my Golden Girls re-runs.
7. I’d lose credibility with my business clients, who wouldn’t believe me any more than they believe any other politician.
6. Intruding paparazzi would force me to give up nude sunbathing.
5. My ex-wives might want dibs on the $15K a year.
4. With Obama’s energy policy, or lack thereof, I can’t afford to drive to Bridgeton once a week.
3. I’d actually have to deal with Bob Greco.
2. I promised my mother.
“And my No. 1 reason for not running for freeholder: People might mistake me for Lou Magazzu.’’
— Fran Reilly